I’m in my second season as a Little League manager. Managed the T-Ball Divison White Sox last year. This year I have the Farm A Division Athletics. I love everything about being a manager. It’s great getting to know the kids, helping them bond as a unit, teaching them while keeping it fun. I enjoy coming up with practice plans that get the team ready and lineups that set up the team and the individuals for success.
Here’s the practice plan I used today. At this point in the preseason, with two practices left until our first game, we’ve covered the basics. So, this plan focuses on teamwork to make outs at first and second – the places where most of the easy outs are to be had. I also had them hit a ton since I didn’t have include any batting practice the last time out.
Practice Plan: Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:00pm – 5:00pm HJMS
3:00pm – 3:10pm Warm Up
- Jog the bases x2. Send runners back if they miss a base.
- Light stretching @ CF
3:10pm – 3:20pm Team Meeting
- Game of Mistakes Redux ( Reminder that it’s ok to make mistakes, and important to help each other. )
- Overview – working to get the outs and drive the ball
3:20pm – 3:50pm Skills Session I
Catcher Training 1 ( Coach R. )
- How to put on / adjust the gear
- Play catch standing up. 5-10’ apart to start, back up as player succeeds
- Simulate catcher fielding ball off ground, throwing to 1B.
- Coach pitch to crouching catcher, free hand braces glove or behind back
Infield Drills ( Coach Patton and Coach P. )
- 2B and SS teamwork – talk through who covers the base when. Bucket beside base, players in two lines. Hit balls to 2B or SS, players toss or flip to teammate at second who puts ball in bucket. Go to back of line. Everyone fields three times, switch sides.
- P and 1B teamwork – talk through who covers the base when. Bucket beside the base, players in two lines. Hit balls to P or 1B, players toss or flip to teammate at first who puts ball in bucket. Go to back of line. Everyone fields three times, switch sides.
3:50 – 3:55pm Break
3:55 – 4:25pm Skills Session II
Catcher Training 2
- 2 Ts. 6 balls into the backstop. Rotate x 2. Focus on mechanics.
- Coach pitch. (Coach P.) 2 players up, 3-4 in field putting balls in bucket. 12 pitches/hitter. Rotate as many times as possible.
4:25 – 4:50pm Simulated Game
- Assign players to infield positions
- Drop bat on towel
- Run through 1B
- All hits are singles, let balls to the outfield go
- Catcher to check fielders, call out where plays are, starts pitcher when ready
- Rotate players, keeping those who can catch well at 1B.
4:50 – 5:00pm Team Meeting
- Clean up site
- Recap practice
- Homework – 10 catches without dropping, 10 caught throws, 10 swings
- Next practice Saturday, April 24 4-6pm HJMS